Lauter grant or wort grant:
|Old fashion Wort Grant|
A lauter grant is simply a vessel that collects the wort from the lauter/mash tun. The pump is plumbed directly to the lauter grant instead of the lauter/mash tun. Gravity gently pulls the wort from the lauter/mash tun, thus minimizing compression of the grain bed. A float switch is used to turn the pump on when the grant is full.
|My Wort Grant side view|
|My Wort Grant top view|
Advantages of using a wort grant:
1. It acts as buffer tank between lauter/mash tun and wort kettle.
2. It gives positive suction to transfer pump (full flow)
3. Main advantage of later grant is: it avoid choking bed. as it avoid choking of bed, brewer will get maximum clear extract in less time.
4. One can easily check gravity at any time.
5. maximum extract with high gravity.
|My own design!|